Cross-selling occurs across all industries and at both the wholesale and retail levels. Selling additional products to an existing customer is usually much easier than acquiring a new customer to sell to. It’s a widely recognized fact that consumers tend to make repeat purchases from the same businesses they’ve traded with in the past. Similarly, in the insurance industry cross-sells are considered one of the best and easiest methods of generating additional revenues for a business.
In addition to generating more income, cross-selling may also carry the advantage of strengthening customer relationships. However, if the cross-sold product or service doesn’t enhance the value of the customer’s primary purchase, then a cross-sell may end up damaging rather than strengthening a company’s relationship with the customer.
TCG Digital empowered the insurance company with predictive analytics, which enabled it to profile its customers and target those interested in additional products. This helped increase its revenue as well as strengthen the company’s relationship with its customers.
We cleaned the data and then aggregated information about its customers in the database to derive their historical purchase patterns, and then applied algorithms like Decision Trees or Logistic Regression to train the predictive models. After that, the models were able to separate the customer base into ‘interested’ and ‘not interested’ profiles. This helped the insurance company significantly by allowing it to make more efficient and successful use of cross/upsell.
Benefits / Impacts:
- Identification of base and target products.
- Helped the company in cross selling the right policies to the right customers.
- Efficient use of cross/upsell led to improving the profitability and lowering the price.
- This technique became the company’s personal selling advantage, which also differentiated it from its competitors.
- This strengthened the customer relationship with its existing customers as the client was able to target the right customers from its database and provide them with their need-based products. Given a healthy relationship, the insurance company also witnessed an increase in quality leads.